Facebook

Monday, February 27, 2012

Finding our way through the wilderness


Romans 3:23
New International Version (NIV)
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
Day five
Backsliding
   While I would love to say that our journey will be straightforward with no bumps in the roads, I know that this is a false statement. Because as we pointed out earlier when you are trying to build a relationship with God the enemy works double time to discourage us. Now the enemy has no power, this is clear in the book of Job where Satan has to ask God permission to bring Havoc upon Job, but he is a great deceiver. Backsliding is one of his many tools that he uses to keep us trap in our spiritual wilderness.
   First thing that we need to know is that just as the scripture above says all have sinned and fell short of the glory of God. No matter how hard we try we all sin. Paul said it best in Romans 7:15, “I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. So in this he, Paul, is not talking about himself before he got saved, no he is talking in the present tense of the time he was writing the letter. So if we can understand that we will have times where we fall short than we can stop backsliding from deterring our journey with the Lord.
   Secondly, we need to realize that God gave his only begotten son Jesus to die for our sins. When Jesus died on Calvary he was dying for all of our sins and when He arose on the Third day He did so with all power in hands. So Jesus already defeated sin for us so it is no need for us to try and fight it on our own. So instead of running away from the Lord when we sin or backslide, we should be sprinting to him so He can cleanse us with His blood.
   So does this mean that we can sin whenever we want? No, it is exactly the opposite. The closer you truly get to the Lord the more you want to walk like Him. It always confuses me when I hear non-Christians saying that we can do whatever we want because all we have to do is say I’m sorry to God in Jesus’ name. While we do believe that we are saved by Grace, a true Christians knows that there is much more to our religion. Jesus tells us himself that we have to turn from our wicked ways and repent. In Matthew 7:21-23 he says, “  Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!” Keeping these words in mind we strive daily to do the will of our Father who is in heaven, but we know that if we should fall our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is right there to pick us back up again.
    Finally, as we said backsliding is almost an inevitable event but there is one way to combat it. Stay in the Word! God has given us the bible not only for a great read, which it is, but the bible should be studied constantly. Proverbs 4:13 says, “Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life.” The instruction that the writer speaks of is the Word. There is Power in the Word! It can be our compass in the middle of the wilderness, just pick it up and it will tell us which way to go.
   Please join us as we continue our journey tomorrow until then God Bless,
                                 James Anthony Love

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for adding me to your favorites and I will check out your blog and do the same! God Bless

    ReplyDelete